Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Can we all (and by "all" I mean me of course since no one else reads this) just ignore that last post on the South Beach Diet. Turns out I really like eating things other than eggs, string cheese and celery. I also really HATE sugar substitute products. Slash, I think they'll probably give us all cancer one day... So I stopped the SBD. And instead I'm trying to focus on conscious and conscientious eating. Meaning, eat when I'm hungry, don't binge/emotionally overeat. Eat healthy food primarily and allow some room for un-healthy foods lest I go completely crazy.

Today, for example, I had half an english muffin topped with sauteed spinach and an egg for breakfast. Couple cups of coffee with a little almond milk. It was absolutely divine. Lunch was more of a grazing affair. A couple of clementines, some string cheese (Still like it. Just don't like it to be such a huge part of my diet like it was during the four days of SBD-induced hell I participated in), and some roasted wasabi seaweed snacks. YUM.

Dinner was an assortment of roasted veggies including THESE babies. My newest obsession and completely amazing in every which way. It's like eating candy. I swear. Finished dinner with a cup of sugar free hot chocolate (with a couple of teaspoons of cocoa powdered added to darken it up a bit. I like my chocolate on the bittersweet side) and a splash or two of soy milk. I may or may not have also eaten a dark chocolate lindt truffle. Hey, its that time of the month-- if you know what I mean.

And I'm completely satisfied and full from the day's meals. When I felt peckish, I ate. When I didn't, I didn't. I think grazing is good for me because I tend to opt for healthier food choices throughout the day rather than forcing myself to sit down and eat a huge salad or something for dinner so I can meet my nutritional goals. Plus the SBD is really freakin' annoying in it's focus on protein. I've never eaten that many eggs in my life and I never want to ever again. Plus, who said carbs are ALWAYS bad? Last night's dinner was a lemon spinach pasta with spicy shrimp. Plus a little parm and non-fat greek yogurt for creaminess. It was great. AND healthy. Even with the carbs.

I've found that denying myself certain foods or food groups is the fastest way for me to binge eat and fail at a diet. Like with the SBD I simply caved one afternoon and ate three M&M cookies slathered in peanut butter with a side of honey nut cheerios. Something I'd never do normally. But by forcing myself to not eat carbs or sugar I went a little nuts. So no more of that.

I'm reading up on the Mediterranean diet and loving what I've read so far. Speaking of which, here's a cool blog I found a few weeks ago. She follows a mainly med eating plan and her recipes are wonderful.

In summary: SBD is out. Healthy, non-restrictive approach to food is in. Which is great because we moved to WISCONSIN. As in, "America's Dairy Land" according to our license plate. They take their Friday fish fries and burgers pretty seriously too here. And home of the craft brew. Although, I do think Philly might challenge Wisconsin for that title. We love our beer in Phila too. Come to think of it we do in Portland as well... Hmm... I'm beginning to sense a theme with my cities of choice thus far...

No comments: